Wednesday 22 February 2012

At last, some hatching eggs

I finally decided I'd waited long enough for bad weather & winter to pass and ordered some hatching quail eggs. They are currently cooking nicely in the Brinsea Mini Advance. So far, so good. Last year, I hatched 3 out of 10 mixed hybrid layers. For my first attempt I was quite pleased. I'm hoping for a few more this year as I have altered several factors. Firstly, the mini advance is automatic, so eggs get turned more frequently, including through the night, and at regular intervals. Secondly, I'm trying much harder to leave well alone!  I remember the first time I candled the hens eggs last year & the absolute delight at seeing those tiny embryos dancing around inside the shell - it was pure magic.  Well, once I had seen that it was all too tempting to have another look, & retrospectively I probably did this far too often. I'm sure at one point I had at least 7 live in the shells.  Tonight I will attempt to candle the quail eggs & see whats going on, and after that I will sit on my hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment