Thursday 23 February 2012

Modifying a Rabbit Hutch for Quail

At last, some sunshine! This has awakened a little productive spirit in me and I have cracked on with my quail preparations by finishing the hutch refurbishments & alterations.


Formerly a rabbit hutch, a few modifications were needed to make it suitable for quail. Firstly, it needed a good scrubbing out and disinfecting.  I have previously used this as an isolation wing for my hens so this was particularly important.  Next I took down the partly-chewed dividing wall as this won't be necessary for quail.  As bunnies enjoy a dark sleeping area, the door on the left was solid wood, but my quails will enjoy more light so I replaced this with wire mesh.  The hutch looked a bit dull, so after perusing all the wood treatment options I chose one that would add a splash of colour, something like sea grass I think.  The roof was a little tired and had showed signs of leakage so I replaced the felting with a kindly donated off-cut.  Finally I added the cabin hook latches to enable me to open the doors independently of each other, and also to stop them being pushed inwards.  It is now ready to become the new residence of a small family of quail. Roll on hatch day...

No comments:

Post a Comment